Local Rule 4007 and Local Rule 4008 of Judicial Administration; No. 2017-2
[47 Pa.B. 3354]
[Saturday, June 17, 2017]
And now, May 2, 2017, the Court hereby adopts the following new Local Rules of Judicial Administration:
Rule 4007. Requests for Transcripts.
(A) All requests for transcripts shall be set forth on the standardized form provided by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Court Administrator. This form may be obtained from www.pacourts.us.
(B) For an ordinary transcript, the requesting party shall file the original request with the office in which the matter is filed, specifically, the Prothonotary's office, Clerk of Courts' office, Register and Recorder's office, or Domestic Relations office.
(C) Where expedited or daily transcripts are requested, the original request shall be filed using the approved form in the appropriate filing office at least 10 days prior to the proceeding.
(D) The requesting party shall serve copies of the formal request to:
(1) The court reporter assigned to the proceeding
(2) The District Court Administrator
(3) Opposing counsel or party, if party is unrepre-sented.
An affidavit of service shall be filed after service.
(E) When a private litigant requests a transcript, the litigant ordering the transcript shall make payment in the amount of 95% of the estimated total cost of the transcript.
(1) Deposit checks or money orders are to be made payable to the appropriate County: County of Perry or County of Juniata and shall be delivered to the District Court Administrator.
(2) Upon receipt of the 95% deposit, the court reporter assigned to the proceeding shall be directed to prepare the transcript.
(3) The court reporter(s) shall notify the District Court Administrator upon completion of the transcript and shall indicate the balance due. Checks or money orders for the final balance due shall be made payable to the appropriate county and shall be delivered to the District Court Administrator.
(4) Transcripts shall not be filed and copies shall not be delivered until the final balance is paid as set forth above.
(F) Any request by a litigant for a transcript alleging inability to pay due to economic hardship must follow the procedure set forth below.
(1) Transcript costs for ordinary transcripts in matters under appeal or in which the transcript is necessary to advance the litigation shall be waived for a litigant who has been permitted by the Court to proceed in forma pauperis or whose income is less than 125 percent of the poverty line as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines for the current year.
(2) Transcript costs for ordinary transcripts in matters under appeal or where the transcript is necessary to advance the litigation shall be reduced by one-half for a litigant whose income is less than 200 percent of the poverty line as defined by the HHS poverty guidelines for the current year.
(3) Transcript cost for ordinary transcripts in matters that are not subject to appeal, where the transcript is not necessary to advance the litigation, or for expedited, daily, or same-day transcripts may be waived at the Court's discretion for parties who qualify for economic hardship under either of the above sections and upon good cause shown.
(4) The application for waiver of all or a portion of costs for ordinary transcripts shall be supported by an affidavit substantially in the form required by Rule 240(h) of the Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure.
Rule 4008. Costs of Transcripts.
(A) Costs payable
(1) The costs payable by the initial ordering party for a transcript shall not exceed:
i. For an ordinary transcript, $2.75 per page
ii. For an expedited transcript, $3.75 per page
iii. For a daily transcript, $4.75 per page
iv. For same-day delivery, $6.75 per page
v. For copies, $.50 per page
(2) Transcript costs payable by the Commonwealth or a subdivision thereof shall be as follows:
i. For an ordinary transcript, $1.75 per page
ii. For an expedited transcript, $2.75 per page
iii. For a daily transcript, $3.75 per page
iv. For same-day delivery, $5.75 per page
v. For copies, $.50 per page.
(B) A request for a copy of any transcript previously ordered, transcribed, and filed of record shall be provided according to the following schedule:
(1) $.50 per page bound, paper format.
(C) A judge of the Court of Common Pleas may impose a reasonable surcharge in cases such as mass tort, medical malpractice, or other unusually complex litigation.
(D) A judge of the Court of Common Pleas may impose a reasonable surcharge for preparation of any transcript prepared in order to justly compensate a court reporter.
Said Local Rules of Judicial Administration shall be effective in the 41st Judicial District of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania thirty (30) days after publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
By the Court
KATHY A. MORROW,
[Pa.B. Doc. No. 17-991. Filed for public inspection June 16, 2017, 9:00 a.m.]
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Bulletin full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.